Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I was denied a permit to purchase a firearm because I didn't

Customer Question

I was denied a permit to purchase a firearm because I didn't complete drug treatment in 2005 but recently completed it this year now the captain of the police department tells me I have to go to court to let a judge decide I would like to go to court on my own but there is no court papers for this can you tell me how to do this.
Expert:  Roger replied 4 years ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'm a litigation attorney. Thanks for your question.
Unfortunately, there are no official forms for this. However, you would have to file a motion with the court accept your certificate of completion of your drug treatment program and update your records to show that you complied with the mandates of the court order, and once the judge finds that you have completed your requirements, the hold should be lifted.
However, as I said, there are no forms for this; I haven't been able to find examples of this either - - the most likely reason is that this doesn't come up very often. That said, hiring an attorney to do this should not be very costly.
I'll continue to look and see if I can find a sample form online.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have never been charged with a crime and all times went to rehab on my own

Expert:  Roger replied 4 years ago.
Ok. This is a little unconventional because USUALLY, if you aren't ordered by a court to complete drug rehab, etc., there is no record of your attendance there is no history generated for a background check that would show that you even went through drug rehab - much less that you completed it. Thus, it is a strange that this is showing up UNLESS you voluntarily disclosed it in your application.
NEVERTHELESS, in this case, you are likely going to have to file a Petition for Reconsideration of Denial of Firearm Permit, which you can find here: http://www.mncourts.gov/forms/public/forms/Conceal_and_Carry/CNC102.pdf
There is also a MS Word format here: http://www.mncourts.gov/default.aspx?page=513&item=166&itemType=formDetails&printFriendly=true
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

that is only if i was denided by a sheriff and that is only for conseal and carry

Expert:  Roger replied 4 years ago.
That's the only form out there that's relevant. Here's a link to all forms available from the state: http://www.mncourts.gov/?page=513
This is the type of petition you're going to have to file.