How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118082
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am currently on probation for a DUI, that was dropped to

This answer was rated:

I am currently on probation for a DUI, that was dropped to a PI and only had one month probation left before being pulled over in a white castle parking lot two days ago. I had my first DUI 10yrs ago this year, and a second 9yrs ago in which I served home incarceration, and the third 2yrs ago that was dropped to a PI that Im currently on probation for. Im am worried about being suspended for habitual traffic offender, because on my last DUI they wanted me to plead guilty and accept that as my punishment before they unexpectedly dropped it to a PI which saved my butt so to speak. What if anything, can I do not to be a habitual traffic offender? I currently attend AA now on a regular basis, and have been trying to quit drinking all together so that should help. Also I live only two blocks away from the white castle I was pulled over in and had did nothing wrong to be pulled over to begin with. Yes I had a few drinks before strolling up to the white castle which was wrong but is any of this information credible in court?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

Unfortunately, this is a big problem since this is a violation of your terms of probation and you are going to have to now fight this DUI to prevent being charged as a habitual offender. In order to make the DUI stick, they had to have probable cause to stop you to begin with, which is what you will fight in this new case as you said they had no reason to pull you over to begin with. If you cannot fight the probable cause for the stop, then you would have to try to challenge the probable cause for testing you (the lack of appearing drunk or lack of smell of alcoholic beverage on your person and your successful completion of field sobriety test).

If you cannot defeat the case on probable cause, you have a chance that being in AA and quitting drinking altogether will help them decide to save your butt (as you put it above) again and agree to reduce the charge based on the circumstances involved here and you will absolutely need a good attorney this time to argue the probable cause and to try to work out some deal for you on this if you cannot win on the probable cause argument.

Thank you so much for using I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.


There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Do you have any suggestions on a good lawyer in my area if I give you the county? Clark County, In I currently have a lawyer but Im afraid that he may not take it very serious and just get a plea agreement resulting in a 10yr suspension, because thats how it was on the DUI 2yrs ago and I just got lucky that the prosecutor dropped it down.

Thank you for your response. I must profusely apologize, but the rules of this site forbid me from making any personal referrals and we can only suggest the same sites used by other attorneys, or for you to find an attorney in your area. You need to interview the attorneys and be honest about your situation and ask about their experience in fighting these cases.
Law Educator, Esq. and 7 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you