How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask N Cal Atty Your Own Question
N Cal Atty
N Cal Atty, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 9415
Experience:  attorney at self
Type Your Legal Question Here...
N Cal Atty is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi. I am at the end of my apartment lease in less than a month.

This answer was rated:

Hi. I am at the end of my apartment lease in less than a month. Instead of renting another apartment, I have a good deal on buying a small, used early 90's RV at a bargain price. I would like to live in it fulltime for about a year, to save up money before renting another apartment (I live in Los Angeles, California & the rents are outrageous).
However, in California, you must have a brick & motar house (or apartment) with a physical address (not a p.o. box) to legally call home & satisfy DMV drivers license requirements. I have no family or relatives in this state that can offer me their address to use to satisfy that requirement to foward my mail to. How can I get around this?
A co-worker suggested that I buy a small piece of barren desert land for about $2000 (like in Lancaster or Mojave), not build or live on it, and use THAT as an address & THEN rent a p.o. box for about $75 a month in Los Angeles near where I work & have my mail LEGALLY forwarded it to THAT. Would that work? (I pay my cellphone and credit card bills online already).
But that would require extra cash. Any ideas?

The form has separate lines for your mailing address and residence address.

You can get a P.O. Box and write "no fixed abode" where it asks for a residence address. Or you can get a hotel room for a day and that would be your residence address on the day you apply.

My opinion is that the State has no legal right to deny a drivers license to a person who is homeless or between homes.

The easiest move seems to be to get a P.O. Box now and apply for a license before your current lease expires, so you can truthfully state your current residence address on the application form. You can ask DMV to put your P.O. Box on your license, as I did.

I hope this information is helpful.

N Cal Atty and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for the Excellent rating, and thank you very much for the bonus!