How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Swartz Your Own Question
Thomas Swartz
Thomas Swartz, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 3139
Experience:  Twenty one years experience as a lawyer in New York and New Jersey. Former Appellate Law Clerk.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Thomas Swartz is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, Born in France, I came to the US in 1975 and became

This answer was rated:


Born in France, I came to the US in 1975 and became US citizen in 1980. Although I don't have a French passport since my US citizenship, I am technically a dual citizen. All my assets accumulated since 1980 are in Texas. I have 2 sons from a first 1962 marriage in France. In 1982, I married a second time in Texas. According to the French law, my sons from the first marriage are entitled to inherite. According to Texas law, I can dispose of my assets as I please and I have a will to that effect. Because my sons may challenge the Texas will, should I take the steps necesary to renounce my French citizenship?

Thanks for your advice.


That won't really be necessary. Since you are a U.S. citizen and a resident of Texas, when you die Texas law will apply to the administration of your will. French law will have no impact on the disposition of your assets at the time of death. And under Texas law you are freely allowed to disinherit any adult children. It would be a good idea to review your existing will with your estate planning attorney to insure that your intentions are clearly stated regarding your children. But other than this I would not say that renouncing your French citizenship would be necessary.

Thomas Swartz and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you