How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LADYLAWYER Your Own Question
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 6536
Experience:  Civil; Family; HOA; Landlord/Tenant; Real Estate; Probate; Insurance; Immigration; Wills & Trusts
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LADYLAWYER is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My father is close to being placed in a nursing home due to

This answer was rated:

My father is close to being placed in a nursing home due to poor health and the need for 24/7 care. He has close to 8,000 dollars in his checking account which he has promised to me for caring for him the last 18 months. He is on medicare but the nursing home administrator says they will get him on medicade also to pay all expenses involved - however they say they will also take this 8,000. My name is XXXXX XXXXX this checking account and of course I feel I should be able to keep this money for the work and strain I have put forth. How can I keep this money legally?

LADYLAWYER : Hello, Thanks for choosing! I look forward to helping you with legal information today.
LADYLAWYER : Whether you are able to keep this money or not depends upon where the account is and what it takes to access the funds. If the account is in a "financial institution" which encompasses all the different types of banks, credit unions, etc., any joint account is considered by Medicaid to belong 100% to the applicant. This means that it is all available for payment to the nursing home. They assume, usually correctly, that the money belonged to the parent and the child was placed on the account for the parent's convenience. This is, however, what is referred to as a "rebuttal presumption" under the law. In other words, if you can prove that some or all of the money placed in the account belonged to the you, that amount may be deemed to be protected - unavailable for the nursing home.
LADYLAWYER : If you were to produce a document saying that you agreed to take care of your father for a return of the money in the account, then there is a good chance the money will be deemed to be yours. The document does not need to be notarized, but it would need to be signed by your dad.
LADYLAWYER : You would have to attach this document to his Medicaid application and they would make the final decision.
LADYLAWYER : I see you have joined the chat. Please let me know if you have any further questions about this. I am happy to keep assisting you.
LADYLAWYER : Please let me know if you have any further questions about this--I am happy to answer them! If not, would you kindly leave a positive rating for me at this time? It costs you nothing further to do but it is the only way the site will give me credit for my time. Thank you!
LADYLAWYER and 5 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you