Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Public Trust Clearance and criminal investigations- I was

Public Trust Clearance and criminal...
Public Trust Clearance and criminal investigations- I was a federal employee and left service in June 2012. I am a recovering alcoholic who got two DUI's in 2011, Disorderly Conduct-2011, and resigned from federal service before being fired for Time and Attendence. My resume speaks to government contractors. I was told at the other agency I was eligible for reinstatement with the federal government and they were very sad for me. My credit is in the toilet but I am willing to be honest and submit to any testing they require. What is the best way to get my public trust clearence back if any at all. I have not been seperated from the government service for over two years yet and the government contractors want me bad but I am scared about the clearence process. I have only had one experience where we had an employee who had stolen 30K from her previous employer and we hired her in accounting. She went to court and part of her probation was to notify us. We could not get rid of her because on the public trust document it stated had you been charged with a crime and she was charged two months later. Also because she disclosed her crime and was honest with both the court and our agency our hands were tied. It was a federal felony. What do you think my chances are for an adjudication. I also have good references from the federal agency I worked at including my immediate supervisor. They just don't want to discuss the last year when my alcoholism was at its worst.
4/17/2013
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. Kindly use CONTINUE or REPLY button to ask for clarification or follow-up questions.

Response:
Unfortunately, with two DUIs and Disorderly Conduct on your record, it is unlikely for you to pass any background check at this time. I do not see how you can be reinstated when the incidents took place just two years ago. That is very recent for you to show that you have now gotten your illness under control.

I am truly sorry that I do not have better news for you. However, as a licensed Attorney and an Officer of the Court, I am legally obligated to provide you with accurate, legally sound, and ethical information eventhough that information may not be what you want to hear.

Let me know if you need further clarification.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law