How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 102505
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

police harassment question regarding constant following for

This answer was rated:

police harassment question regarding constant following for no know reason that im aware of, been ongoing for sometime however it has gotten worse lately, please advice.
Hello, my name is Ely. Welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice; and (2) my function is to give you honest information and not necessarily to tell you what you wish to hear. Note: there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

I am very sorry for your situation. Can you please tell me more:

1) What state is this in; and
2) What exactly is happening and what are you hoping to achieve here, i.e. what do you wish to do?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Ely,


this is happening in Florida, i wish for this hounding harassment is stopped and why they are doing it, and sue if necessary to recover expenses and the the stress and discomfort that i've gone though.

Thank you. Can you please tell me exactly how the police are harassing you? What are they doing? Are they calling you in for interviews? Following you? Etc...?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

can you tell me what i can do about this im not familiar with legal matters have not had legal problems. never have hired a lawyer before.


Customer: replied 4 years ago.

hi returning

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

police cars are constantly appearing at intersections, and lately there has been a taxi cab that is constantly following me.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

its as if they want me to notice them, and i don't know why....


Now, the police are allowed to conduct an investigation, however, it should not border or be harassment.

If one feels that they are being harassed by the authorities, one can have counsel threaten to sue unless they essentially 'back off.'

May I recommend the Florida Bar referral program - here. The attorneys are vetted and qualified. You should be able to find an attorney you are confident with and whom you can trust, and who is available ASAP.

Essentially, an attorney can threaten to litigate unless the police stop harassment. If not, then the attorney may possible for for a restraining order under Fla. Stat. § 784.048(2) for harassment, alone, or in tandem with a suit for intentional infliction of emotional distress. To establish a cause of action for the intentional infliction of emotional distress, four elements must be proven: (a) deliberate or reckless infliction of mental suffering; (b) outrageous conduct; (c) the conduct must have caused the emotional distress; and (d) the distress must be severe. Dominguez v. Equitable Life Assurance Society of the United States, 438 So.2d 58 (Fla. 3rd DCA 1983), approved, 467 So.2d 281 (Fla. 1985).

Very often, the party threatened will simply back off, to avoid any litigation. Likely, once such a letter to cease and desist is sent, the matter should be resolved without even the need to litigate.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Good luck.

IMPORTANT: Please use REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces before submitting the rating, because this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects negatively on me as an expert, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. Do not worry, you may always ask follow ups for free after rating. My ultimate goal is your complete satisfaction.
Ely and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok thanks Ely will try the lawyer referral service, can i contact you again for further information ?


ok thanks Ely will try the lawyer referral service,

You are very welcome. Simply explain that you need a 'cease and desist' letter and the attorney should know what to do.

can i contact you again for further information ?

Sure - you may always find me here.

Good luck, and please don't forget to rate my answer in one of top three faces and then SUBMIT – it is the only way I get credit for my time with you – or, please REPLY to keep on chatting – I want you to be satisfied.