How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Kennett Your Own Question
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD)
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27689
Experience:  25 years experience in general law, including real estate, criminal, traffic, and domestic relations
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dave Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is in jail. Has a 5 yr old son. The mother will not

This answer was rated:

My son is in jail. Has a 5 yr old son. The mother will not take son to visit him. Is there a form to fill out for Parent to transfer parental rights for visitation to grandparents? In other words, can my son transfer his parental rights of visitation to me as the grandparent? What is the form or Power of Attorney...
Dear PLCUSTOMER - Only a court can transfer parental rights but if the mother will not permit you to visit you can file a motion for grandparent rights so that you can visit. It is not that easy to get a court to order that a child be taken to a prison or a jail to visit however it depends on the circumstances. If you can get grandparent visitation from the court you would then have the power to take the child for a visit if the court and the jail will allow it. There is no form to fill out as you would have to actually file a motion with the court. Your son has no power to transfer any rights with a power of attorney or any other type of form.
Dave Kennett and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you