Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Pending their decision is there anything I can do to strengthen

my case.For example is it...
Pending their decision is there anything I can do to strengthen my case.For example is it advisable to file application under form 3499 to separate some of the goods are not bearing any objectionable marks
Or is it advisable to file this once they have decided?
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/11/2013
Thank you for the new question.

You should file now before any decision is made to separate the items that do not bear questionable or objectionable marks, this way you are left to only fight over a smaller amount of the items.

Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com. I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Also is their a specific format to file exemption under 19 CFR § 133.22(c) to establish that the confusing marks which are only on the outer boxes can easily be removed and that we are willing to give an undertaking to that effect.

Thanks.

No, there is no specific form. You write a letter to Customs describing the property that is being held and ask for the property you want released that is not in violation and cite the CFR and ask them to release the specific non-violating items.

One last question before I press the OK tab.

The customs issued a detention notice dated(01/05/20130 which is a future date in which they pointed out discrepancies in all the pacakges of the nature of confusingly similar logos.Subsequently they issued a formal notice dated April 5 2013,under in accordance with 19 cfr 133.22 and 133.25 in which they pointed out a violation only in one product.

Does that mean the formal notice supersedes the detention notice.Should the wrong date be pointed out to them?

and under the circumstance should I file an application for manipulation presuming the formal notice is final and supersedes the detention notice.

Thank you for your follow up (I would hope you would click excellent and not just OK).

The last notice issued, the formal notice, would be the official notice that supersedes all other notices. So you would go by the April notice and you can based on that notice ask for a release of the non-infringing items and the appeal the other items.

Sorry

I just looked up and found this form for manipulation to separate the items that do not bear questionable or objectionable marks,

"

APPLICATION AND APPROVAL
TO MANIPULATE, EXAMINE, SAMPLE OR TRANSFER GOODS
19 CFR 19.8, 19.11, 158.43"

Do i need to submit this or a simple application will do?

Thanks

Actually, you can submit the form or a simple application, Customs will take either one.

Also where do I file this application.Thanks a ton for all your help.

Thank you.

You file this with the Local Customs office where the seizure was made, with their fines, penalties and enforcement office.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney