How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118763
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im currently in Yorba Linda Ca. I came from Oklahoma. I have

This answer was rated:

I'm currently in Yorba Linda Ca. I came from Oklahoma. I have 11 Chihuahua's and the oc sheriff just told me I have to get a permit for my over the limit dogs ASAP or get rid of them. What can I do to prevent them from taking my dogs? Some of them are rescue animals. One beaten so bad I paid to get her away from the people that hurt her and immediately went to after hours weekend vet that advised me to put her to sleep. I REFUSED. I've had her for 4 years now she walks and gave me 2 beautiful girls. PLEASE HELP ME SAVE MY DOGS I'm a un-remarried widow of a 100% service connected disabled/deceased veteran and my benefit check barely covers my bills. This added crunch will ruin me, but I WILL NOT LOSE MY DOGS
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

I am afraid the regulation of household pets is a local government function, which means government can pass laws limiting the number of pets. Under Yorba Linda Ordinance 6.16.080, everyone having more than 4 dogs and/or cats must have a special permit, this is in addition to the fact that every dog or cat must be licensed in the city as well under Ordinance 6.16.020.

I am afraid that there is no exception in the ordinance for waiver of fees or waiver of license and you do not have to lose your pets, but you would have to comply with the city ordinances and apply for the licenses and permits required or be fined and they can come in and seize the animals which would be horrific.

Legally, I am afraid they have the power to do this and you could not even go to court to try to argue that the dog is a service dog and allowed under the Americans with Disabilities Act, because this is more than one dog and the ADA would work for one dog, but not for 11 I am afraid.

Thank you so much for using I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.


There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq. and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok. I went and got the permit for my dogs. I also put the 2 dogs the home owner and her son has on it. It had to have every dog on premises listed. What I need to know now is Since I don't know if I'm going to stay here much longer, do I have to license my dogs here? Like I said, I'm from Oklahoma and cant afford to keep licensing my dogs from 1 state to the other every time I leave and come back. Plus I have 2 i'm saving $ up to get 2 of them fixed. I can't do any more. I

Thank you for your response.

You will have to license the dogs as well, as I said above, but you can get a 6 month or 12 month license for them and if you are not going to be there long, then apply for the 6 month license.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I don't know from one day to the next if I'm going to be here. I appreciate your time helping me. When I called (before i got the permit) The lady I talked to said I had 15 days to license my dogs. I have a temporary permit. I don't know if I really have the 15 days. I don't want to pay for licenses for any amount of time not even 6 months, because I don't know from 1 day to the next if i'm staying here due to escalating abuse



Thank you for your response.

I do understand your situation, but if it looks like you cannot get out of there in 15 days, you have to get the licenses or you can be fined for each dog.
Law Educator, Esq. and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Oh. I'll get outta here. TRUST ME. By whatever means I have to.

I can understand that. I have never been a fan of CA, too many restrictions and laws for me.
Law Educator, Esq. and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you