CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

Im trying to renew a boat registration in ga. is it legal

I'm trying to renew a boat registration in ga. is it legal to search for as soc sec no. The owner is on a cruise in austraila, wanted me to do some repair work and then run it some until he returns. Registration expired last month.

William B. Esq. :

Dear Customer, I just want to ensure that I understand you correctly, you need to locate the boat owner's social security number in order to re-register his boat on his behalf while he is away. Is that correct?

William B. Esq. :

(In follow up, if that is the case, did you have a specific means in mind to locating this information?)

William B. Esq. :

Dear customer, If the above is correct, I would advise first attempting to Contact the Georgia Department of Natural Resources: http://www.georgiawildlife.com/node/2965 and attempting to see if they can re-register the boat without a social security number (the hull number on the boat may be sufficient). If not, there is no regulation against attempting to locate a social security number for a legitimate purpose on behalf of the owner, however, this is usually difficult and/or expensive. Usually a regulatory agency will be able to provide you with an alternative means to re-register the vessel.

William B. Esq. :

I hope that the above information is helpful, if you have any questions, please use the “Reply to Expert Link” and I will follow up promptly. Once you are satisfied with your answer, please rate my service by clicking on the “OK” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” buttons, if you believe my service is anything less than “OK” please stop and tell me what additional information or clarification you need to make your experience satisfactory.

If you have any further questions, or if I missed or misunderstood what you were asking, please do ask and I will follow up promptly, You may continue to follow up if further questions arise even after rating my response.

Customer:

yes that is correct. I talked to dnr on the phone. They gave me his customer id # XXXXX register on line. Somehow it was registered without soc.#. and I get error message. Not sure yet how to find soc.#. No help from dnr although everything else is correct, hull#,name and address,ga registration # XXXXX and model.

William B. Esq. :

I cannot give you a specific reference on who can locate his ssn for this purpose, but there are services available. If you are unable to get anyone (supervisory level or administrative review) to assist you with this at the dnr, you can apply to the Court for "declaratory relief" asking that the boat be registered without this information. This will require a short declaration from you regarding the ownership and the reason for the application. In most instances however, citizens can find someone that can make administrative exceptions for these types of situations without requiring a judicial intervention.

Customer:

ok thanks, XXXXX XXXXX what I can come up with.

William B. Esq. :

You are welcome. I do hope that you are able to resolve this without having to go to the hassle of an appearance in court (small claims or limited jurisdiction will be sufficient in these types of proceedings). Thank you for using Just Answer, and please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.