How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jack R. Your Own Question
Jack R.
Jack R., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 6147
Experience:  OH/TX Practicing Attorney focusing on Family Law, Foreclosure, Landlord-Tenant Issues.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Jack R. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I know someone is committing a Class 1 misdemeanor in the

This answer was rated:

If I know someone is committing a Class 1 misdemeanor in the state of Virginia, how can I get them arrested? Can I do a citizen arrest, or call 911 and insist that they respond to my call? The reason why I ask, is I know of several individual companies that are staffing public swimming pools without having a properly licensed pool operator on duty, which is in violation of the Fairfax County codes which states:

Section 69.1-1-25. Penalties.

Any person or owner who fails to comply with any applicable provision shall be in violation of this Ordinance. Each violation of this Ordinance is punishable as a Class 1 misdemeanor in accordance with Virginia law. Each day a violation of this Ordinance shall continue shall constitute a separate offense. The criminal penalty provided in this Section shall be in addition to the administrative remedies set forth elsewhere in this Ordinance.

The problem is the Health Department is not enforcing the codes, and is allowing individuals to operate pools without their required PO permit, and I, as a citizen, do not want to allow this to continue, and want to push the criminal charges.

Thank you for choosing Just Answer.


Your first course of action is to contact the health department and ask that they perform an inspection as required.


If the health department cannot or will not respond you can call the police department.


If the police department will not respond, then you will need to speak to the prosecutor. Ultimately it is the persecutor that needs to decide whether charges will be brought in the matter.


If you found this answer useful please press the appropriate quality of service button of 3 or greater. This is needed so I can get credit for my answer. If you have follow up questions please ask.


This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship.Information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information.


Jack R. and 7 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you