How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Legal Your Own Question
John Legal
John Legal, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4631
Experience:  Over 15 years legal experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
John Legal is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Mom Dad have a living trust lots of agriculture land involved.

This answer was rated:

Mom Dad have a living trust lots of agriculture land involved. How can we protect it if they go into a nursing home? My wife and I make our living off the farm land. My account said her lawyer made itso after 90 days, govt. Couldn't touch their AG land to help payfor nursing home?
Welcome! Thank you for your question.

Unfortunately this does not happen within 90 days. The best and most solid way to protect the property is to transfer it to a Medicaid protected irrevocable trust. This trust is different than the living trusts that your parents have. The living trusts keep the property out of probate. However, they are revocable so fully available to pay all debts including nursing home expenses. The irrevocable trust will remove the property from your parents names fully. The transfer will cause them to be ineligible for Medicaid to cover nursing home costs for 5 years from the date of the transfer. Once the 5 years expires the property is protected inside the trust. This is a bit more complex than transferring the property outright to you but it keeps it protected from your creditors as well.

An experienced elder law attorney in your area can help you put in place protection that will assure that you keep the farm. You can find an elder law attorney at

I cannot provide you with legal advise. I have provided you with information about the law related to your question. My answer, and any information that you find online, should not take the place of having a consultation with a lawyer in your area to advise you regarding your specific issues.

Please show your appreciation for my candid, accurate information by clicking VERY INFORMATIVE, OR the OR and positive feedback. You should only rate me if you are satisfied with the information I provided you. If you cannot rate me GREAT please do not rate. Give me a chance to make it right by clicking REPLY TO EXPERT.

I appreciate your question and repeat customers. You can request me by beginning your question with "Dear XXXXX..."

Thank you,


John Legal and 8 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you