TexLaw
TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
17219180

I am employed in a practitioners office in Virginia. The Doctors

Customer Question

I am employed in a practitioners office in Virginia. The Doctors assistant installed a video/audio surveillance system in our reception area. At first the camera unit was hidden in a grated ceiling tile and later moved to a more revealing location, on top of our filing cabinets. We have many government employees and military members as clients. We also serve several high ranking state officials and their families. I am wondering, as well as all of the employees are, the legality of using a voice recording system? Also there is no signage and no employee or client has ever signed a confidentiality release for video/audio recording. We have no concerns with illegal behavior in the office either. When clients have noticed the surveillance and ask what its purpose is, we have no answer for them. No employee has ever been instructed as to the actual reason for it or how to address clients concerns.
Expert:  TexLaw replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

It is legal to have video surveillance in the reception area in a doctor's office. However, the recordings would likely fall under confidentiality protection through HIPAA. There is no requirement under the law to disclose the reason for the surveillance, nor a need to obtain employee releases for the recordings.

Please let me know if you have any questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am compensated by the website for my work on your question. Rating does not cause an additional charge and will not prevent us from further working together on your questions.

Best Regards,
ZDN