How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LADYLAWYER Your Own Question
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 6536
Experience:  Civil; Family; HOA; Landlord/Tenant; Real Estate; Probate; Insurance; Immigration; Wills & Trusts
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LADYLAWYER is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A friend failed to declare a check worth $130,000 he had in

This answer was rated:

A friend failed to declare a check worth $130,000 he had in his bag in the phillipines. Customs says he has to fill out a form C9900 and pay a fine before he can leave.

Is this true? How can he leave without paying the money as that is all the money he had.

LADYLAWYER : Hello,Thanks for choosing! I look forward to helping you with legal information today.
LADYLAWYER : I hate to be the bearer of bad news here, but fact patterns like this are all too common with "friends" people meet over the Internet. As soon as the friend tries to leave their country, something happens and now they need money to be able to leave in order to get to you. These are common scams and there is no Form c9900 that your friend had to fill out. This person is a scam artist looking for money and if he hasn't asked you for any yet, it will be coming.
LADYLAWYER and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I did send him money through 2 friends in the US because i THOUGHT something wierd was up - how can I turn them in etc.

Oh teepstr, I am so sorry. Wish you would have asked your question before you sent the money. It is impossible to really do anything because I am sure this person did not give you their real name and probably are not even in the Phillipines. The person could be anywhere in the world or may even be right here in the US. The best thing to do is to contact the FBIs Internet crime division and report the info you have, including the email addresses and other info of the people here in the US.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I was suspicious so I made sure the money was sent to people in the US - I verified through linked in (?) that both people exisited - ?

It could be that your "friend" is actually a US citizen and is one or both of the two people listed on LinkedIn. Or it could be that the two people are working with someone overseas. Either way, you need to alert the FBI's Internet Fraud division since they can definitely check out the people here in the US.