Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I live in State of New York with people I dont like. 3 summers

I live in State of...
I live in State of New York with people I don't like. 3 summers ago, I had an argument with them concerning a huge amount of money I loaned them 8 years ago. Got upset and had 2 glasses of wine. Kept arguing with me and told them I was leaving the house because I couldn't stand being with them. Drove car out of the driveway to other side of street, immediately knew it was a bad idea because of drinking, and moved it back to my driveway. In the meantime, they called 911 to report me drinking and driving. Police showed up, but I had left the house and walked to a friend's. Police never spoke to me or witnessed the incident, and they left. These people told police they were "concerned" about me and therefore called 911.

I am a retired flight attendant. Recently, I applied for a PT customer service job in 3 different FL cities but have been turned down. I am wondering if this "hearsay" evidence that was probably reported to the Bronx precinct is something that would show up on an aviation background check.

As far as I am concerned, anyone could call police to make any kind of a complaint on a person, especially if they did not like them. It does not seem fair that a "hearsay report" such as this would show up on a background check, since police never even saw me, talked to me, or witnessed me start the car. I have NEVER ever driven while intoxicated, and I realized this immediately and backed my car into the driveway.

Can you tell me a definite answer to this question? Also, if it is allowable to be reported in a background check, what would you suggest I do to get it off there.

I might add that I travel extensively between FL and NY due to my flight privileges, and I have a FL DL and FL insurance because I am originally from there and have a FL address. However, I am a legal resident of NY State. I hesitate to go down to the Bronx precinct to investigate this because I am afraid this will be another issue. I cannot afford the exhorbitant NY State insurance rates, and this is the reason I have FL insurance.

Other than these 2 things that could possibly show up, I have absolutely nothing in my background check that would show up--not even a speeding ticket.

I really do not think the FL driver's license with the NY state legal residence would be a problem (but maybe it is); but I am afraid that this "hearsay" evidence of DWI reported to the police in a 911 call could be hurting me. It was a stupid thing for me to do, and I realized it as soon as I sat in the car and immediately brought car back to driveway within about 45 seconds of driving it out,

I have not been stopped by the police for any reason while driving for at least 10 years, so I do have a good driving record.

Any help and/or suggestions from someone who understands aviation background checks and legalities is much appreciated.
4/5/2013
LADYLAWYER
LADYLAWYER, Lawyer

LADYLAWYER :

Hello, Thanks for choosing Justanswer.com! I look forward to helping you with legal information today.

LADYLAWYER :

Information such as this would not show up on a background check. For one, no report was ever completed or filed, your name may have been given, but no social security number to verify your identity would have been, and lastly, even if a report had been made, if no charges were ever filed against you, the report itself would not show up on a background check.

LADYLAWYER :

Charges must be filed for that to happen.

LADYLAWYER :

The FL/NY issue would not be a problem either.

LADYLAWYER :

In the legal sense of things.

LADYLAWYER :

With regard to the aviation background checks, yes, they are more extensive than regular background checks, but they are not extensive as CIA and FBI background checks, which I assist clients with regularly.

Customer:

Thanks. . .I am SURE a report was definitely filed with my name. Yes, you are correct in that no charges were filed. So you are 100 percent sure that this would not show up on a background check? Thanks also for the car insurance issue. So maybe my problem is my resume. That can be corrected.

LADYLAWYER :

Even with the CIA/FBI background checks, a report must have been taken but ALSO, a social secuirty number would need to be present for positive identification and if no policeman ever spoke to you, I doubt your roommate gave them that information.

Customer:

Are you able to leave your reply to me so that I have a record of it just for my own personal info via e-mail, etc., just so I can look at it again down the line is necessary?

LADYLAWYER :

Additionally, even if an SS number was present, if no charges were filed, this would not be a hinderance to employment. But I am sure this is not showing up on an aviation background check. Nor would the insurance be an issue.

Customer:

They might have access to my SS#, but I doubt that would have occurred; and I definitely did not ever see them; nor did they have any positive ID of me.

LADYLAWYER :

Sure, when you rate my answer, you will have an opportunity to print out our conversation or request it be sent to you via email.

LADYLAWYER :

I do think it is probably a resume issue so you may want to go that route. I own my own company and the resume and cover letters make all the difference in the world to me.

LADYLAWYER :

There are companies out there that can assist as a good resume can be as difficult as writing a grant!

Customer:

I think you have answered everything I needed and have relieved my mind of this issue. Has been bothering me for a long time now. Yes, I will rate you very highly. Thanks. . .Just want to have our conversation because I have so much going on in my head that I might want to look at it again before my next job application. Thanks for all your help. Yes, I probably need help with my resume. I love the airline industry and want to be back. You have made my day much better.

LADYLAWYER :

I certianly understand. Rest assured that they are viewing a clean record for you. You just need to change a few things to make them want to hire you, is all. :)

Customer:

So unless you have any additional suggestions, I will go ahead and sign off. Actually, I have one other question. . .sorry for delay.

Customer:

Can you recommend a good company to order my own background check from. . .the type background check an airline would be using?

LADYLAWYER :

No problem.

LADYLAWYER :

I run them straight through the FBI: http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/background-checks

Customer:

Thanks so much. I will click on website after we exit! I guess it will show up in my e-mail conversation.

LADYLAWYER :

You're very welcome! You may always come back to this site and access our conversation as well. It is automatically saved upon rating. I hope I have provided you with excellent service today and that your rating will reflect that! Please let me know if there is anything more I can do for you at this time. Thanks!

Customer:

Fantastic, again thanks! Goodbye!

LADYLAWYER :

Have a great day!

LADYLAWYER
LADYLAWYER, Lawyer
LADYLAWYER
LADYLAWYER
LADYLAWYER, Lawyer