How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Lawyer, Consultant
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am the grandmother of child and the child is currently living

This answer was rated:

I am the grandmother of child and the child is currently living with his mother. I have been served papers to go to court and bring grandson with me as case against him is for truancy and not attending school. The papers say a parent/guardian must be present for him to enter a plea. In the state of Texas am I considered a guardian of my grandson even though I do not live with him? His mother may not be able to accompany us to court as she has injured her shoulder and may have to have surgery the week of court.

Thank you

Belinda Munke

FiveStarLaw :

*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*

FiveStarLaw :


Thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

Don't Forget that the deposit you placed to ask this question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service ! Please Remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service and not this website itself or the law .

FiveStarLaw :

The child's mother is the legal guardian of your grandson. Absent a court order to the contrary, you are not your grandchild's legal guardian.

FiveStarLaw :

That said, the mother may provide you with the power of attorney to act in her stead.


I would be glad to respond to any related follow-up questions that you may have when you return online.


How are things going? Is there anything else I can help you with?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for responding so quickly. I think this is all the information I needed. Just want to make sure the state doesn't hold me accountable as they served me the court papers and not the mother. I do not now or have I ever had custody of my grandson although he did live with me and his grandfather for 2 months last year but we did not get legal custody of him. Thank you.

It has been my pleasure to work with you Belinda

Please let me know if I can assist you in the future by requesting me directly.

If you would take a moment to click the rating tab to rate my work, I would appreciate it. My goal is EXCELLENT and I hope your rating reflects that. Please let me know if you experience any difficulty using the rating system as the site does not give me credit for my work unless a favorable rating registers.
Ellen and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you