Jack R.
Jack R., Attorney
Experience:  OH/TX Practicing Attorney focusing on Family Law, Foreclosure, Landlord-Tenant Issues.
14472836

I live in Georgia and i got into an accident i got a ticket

I live in Georgia and i got into an accident i got a ticket for following to close and driving with an expired license i have to appear in court I am terrified that i might go to jail which can't be good because my Adjustment of status is pending what do i do help please!!! may license had been expired since december 2010

Hi, thank you for asking your question today. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-Was your license expired or suspended ?

-Was this your first stop for an expired license?
-Have you any other misdemeanor of felony violations?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My license was expired and it is my first offense i had a clean record prior to the accident and i dont have any other violations or felonies

In Georgia, driving without a license or driving with an expired license is a criminal offense. Driving with an expired driver's license is a violation of Code Ann. 68B-201 (a) (OCGA 40-5-20 (a)). The violation a misdemeanor. Misdemeanors may be punished by a fine as high as $1,000 (Code Ann. 27-2506 (OCGA 17-10-3)),

..While violation can involve jail time; for a first offense wih a clean record jail time is not be likely. It is also unlikley that the max fine would be imposed.

It is advisable to get your drivers license renewed so the court understands you were not under any restriction preventing renewal. Having a valid license may reduce the severity of any penalty. Given you license is expired for more than 2 years you may have to retake the tests to get your license back.

At your hearing you should be able to articulate why you did not renew a license for over 2 years. A good reason can also mitigate any penalty e.g. serving in the military out of country.

Please remember the to click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE so I may get credit form my answer. If you have further questions please ask. Thank You !

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The reason i didn't renew was because i was out of status but now i have filed all my immigration paper work and i am just waiting to get proper paper work to take to the DMV so i can get a new license so would you advise i ask for an extenssion on my court hearing? that way i will get more time to get my license back

Yes I would. Showing the judge your can get a driver's license will help your case.