Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I signed a sales contract to purchase a boat with a Washington

manufacturer and now I want...
I signed a sales contract to purchase a boat with a Washington manufacturer and now I want to cancel it.
4/4/2013
LADYLAWYER
LADYLAWYER, Lawyer

LADYLAWYER : Hello, Thanks for choosing Justanswer.com! I look forward to helping you with legal information today.
LADYLAWYER : Is the boat being specially made for you? How long ago did you sign the contract?
Customer:

No, the boat is a standard design varying in lengths from 19' to 25'. The price is based on basic cost plus options that are offered to the buyer. The basic price of this model was $60,000 and with options and s/t totaled $69,000 I placed a $1,000 down payment to secure order date for production purposes.

LADYLAWYER : So the boat s made-to-order though? How long ago did you sign the sale's agreement?
LADYLAWYER : *is
Customer:

I signed the sales contract April 2.

LADYLAWYER : Thank you. The rating system is disabled at the moment. If you were to rate now, it would end the live chat.
LADYLAWYER : As long as production has not been started and you have not taken possession of the boat, you may cancel the contract.
LADYLAWYER : The manufacturer is going to try everything in it's power to tell you that you are not able to do this and that you have a signed contract you cannot back out of. They will say they will send you to collections, etc., etc., but these are all scare tactics.
LADYLAWYER : It appears you keep trying to rate my answer?
LADYLAWYER : Did you want to go ahead and close out the chat?
Customer:

yes!

LADYLAWYER : Okay. So you have no further questions at this time?
LADYLAWYER : I hope I provided you with excellent service tonight and that your rating will reflect that. :)
Customer:

I am still waiting for the answer to my question

LADYLAWYER : I posted it as soon as you answered my in initial questions. I will repost.
LADYLAWYER : LADYLAWYER says:1:15 AMThank you. The rating system is disabled at the moment. If you were to rate now, it would end the live chat.1:16 AMAs long as production has not been started and you have not taken possession of the boat, you may cancel the contract.1:17 AMThe manufacturer is going to try everything in it's power to tell you that you are not able to do this and that you have a signed contract you cannot back out of. They will say they will send you to collections, etc., etc., but these are all scare tactics.
LADYLAWYER : Can you see the answer now?
Customer:

Yes...Thank you. The answer is very helpful.

LADYLAWYER : You're very welcome. Sorry it wasn't showing up before.
LADYLAWYER : I just wanted to tell you too that they may balk at giving you your deposit back.
LADYLAWYER : You may have to threaten to report them to the Attorney General or threaten legal action.
LADYLAWYER : Whether a return of your deposit is proper may depend on the terms of your contract.
LADYLAWYER : But like I said, if production isn't started, you should be okay.
LADYLAWYER : I am happy to answer any further questions you may have! If none, would you kindly consider a positive rating at this time? Thanks so much!
Customer:

Can I give them notice of termination by e mail, written or phone call?

LADYLAWYER : I would give written notice by email, mail and fax.
LADYLAWYER : You may need proof later if they claim production had already been started and they received no notice from you.
LADYLAWYER
LADYLAWYER, Lawyer
LADYLAWYER
LADYLAWYER
LADYLAWYER, Lawyer