Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

I have a customer in Virginia that wants me to do some printing

I have a customer in Virginia that want's me to do some printing for him. He has his name and "esquire" on his card but not the words attorney at law. I was wondering why so I looked on the Virginia Bar Association website and he is listed NGS. With further investigation I found where his license was suspended and then revoked in 2009. Should I report this?
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
.
Actually, although Esquire is often used by attorneys in their correspondence, it actually doesn't mean "attorney". It is just a polite title that is used when no other title is used originally used by English nobility.
.
Further under the VA Unauthorized Practice of Law statutes, there is no legal restriction on using the term Esquire for a non-atttorney.
.
So there would not be any legal prohibition on a non-attorney (or one who was revoked) in using Esquire on their card. Now if they are practicing law without a license, that is another matter entirely.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

Please don't forget to rate my service "OK" or higher. It is only then that I receive credit for my work.

.

If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.

.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Even though one of his "businesses" is (his name), Esquire of America?

Yes, still no prohibition on him using the term Esquire. But if you think he is practicing law you could notify the Bar so they could look into it.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

.

.