How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118645
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I recieved DI for 1 yr while i file a workers comp claim against

This answer was rated:

I recieved DI for 1 yr while i file a workers comp claim against my employer. I just won the comp case and DI was paid back. I was not paid work comp until they excepted responsiblity 23 months later. I used up the 2 yrs of workers comp temp. disability payments and am now trying to get DI to pay back 10 months that I did not recieve anything from DI or WC. I was denied under Sect. 2629 because they say I should have recieved workers Comp. for that time. I have been disabled for over 3 years.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

Your recourse here once WC has been approved, is you must file in workers compensation court now for your back pay to get your back pay under W C as you are entitled to. It is not DI's responsibility, it is up to WC to pay the back pay and up to you now to go to workers compensation court to provide you the back pay as they are the ones liable for payment for your disability during that time.

Thank you so much for using I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.


There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I was temp. disabled for total of 3 yrs. and worker comp. paid 2 yrs which is max. WC carrier did not start paying until two years into healing period. DI paid first year and I recieved noting for 10 1/2 months in between. All workers comp. will pay is 2 yrs; can I get DI to pay the extra time that was before comp. excepted responsibility.

Thank you for your follow up.

Workers compensation does have a 2 year limitation and as such you have to file an appeal with DI regarding payment for any time outside of that 2 year limitations and you have to present that evidence to DI that WC paid their maximum and now DI is liable for the difference.
Law Educator, Esq. and 7 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you