WALLSTREETFIGHTER
WALLSTREETFIGHTER, Attorney
Experience:  14 years experience in representing clients, current member of legalshield, legal club of america, NYSUT and UFT attorney
16356563

I was laid of by my firm Lee Hecht Harrison, King of Prussia

I was laid of by my firm Lee Hecht Harrison, King of Prussia Pa due to lack of work on June 22 2012 with the proviso that I would remain on the company's rolls to be recalled if needed.

However I received a 7 1/2 minimum distribution letter with check on 3/21/13 which indicated I had been terminated.

I called LHH to verify and they responded with a letter on 3/29/13 that I had been terminated on 11/16/12.

However I never received any communication on that action which might have impacted
how /when I filed for PA Unemployment plus how I wanted my 401 balance distributed

Question ? Does a company have an legal obligation to inform of termination in a timely
fashion

WALLSTREETLAW :

Hello I am a licensed attorney here to help you with your question, please review my response and do not hesitate to ask for clarificati on

WALLSTREETLAW :

This is an unfortunate situation, and clearly the employer acted in an unprofessional way,

WALLSTREETLAW :

however under current law in PA, an employer has no obligation to warn or give any notice to an employee they want to terminate,

WALLSTREETLAW :

Pa. Cons. Stat. Ann. § 260.5)

Final check must be given on the next scheduled payday.

WALLSTREETLAW :

Under the law, the only obligation an employer has it to provide the employee their next paycheck on time, and no delay is allowed.

WALLSTREETLAW :

You should apply for unemployment benefits now,

WALLSTREETLAW :

and advise the office that you were terminated when you were given the notice, not the date they listed as you were never notified of that date.

WALLSTREETLAW :

Also, under PA law you should have applied for unemployment benefits the day you were laid off in June of last year.

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask.

If satisfied with our service please provide us with positive feedback.