How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 29985
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

An ex boyfriend sent an inappropriate photograph to my co-workers,

This answer was rated:

An ex boyfriend sent an inappropriate photograph to my co-workers, in his effort to cause embarrassment/humiliation. I believe it's a dafamation of character. However, he doesn't live locally, he lives in England and I live in the states. What are my options to stop this?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

Defamation of character requires an untrue statement of fact. Showing someone an accurate picture does not fall within this definition. However, you could have a case for what is called "public dissemination of private true fact." That tort requires (a) widespread disbursement, (2) of truthful information (3) that would be highly embarrassing to a reasonable person.

You could get a judgment against him in the United States, but that's only useful if he owns property or has bank accounts here (or, if he's planning to live in the U.S. at some point, so he could acquire property here). Otherwise, unfortunately, you would have to sue him in the UK, because the UK courts don't have to enforce a U.S. judgment. One option might be to hire a UK attorney to send him a "cease and desist letter," letting him know that you will sue if he does not cease his unlawful conduct immediately. Another option is to send the letter yourself, via a form of mail that requires a signature, so that he knows you're serious about this. You would have to travel to the UK in order to attend a trial. However, if he believes that you intend to seek legal action, he may stop what he's doing.

If he's using the internet to stalk and/or harass you, you can also contact the local authorities in the area where he lives and file a police report.

Please rate my service positively before signing out, as this is the only way that I get credit for the time I spend helping you. I hope that you are 100% satisfied - otherwise, please reply so we can continue the conversation. Good luck.
Lucy, Esq. and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you