How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jack R. Your Own Question
Jack R.
Jack R., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 6147
Experience:  OH/TX Practicing Attorney focusing on Family Law, Foreclosure, Landlord-Tenant Issues.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Jack R. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was accused of sexual assault by a fellow employee. The police

This answer was rated:

I was accused of sexual assault by a fellow employee. The police department investigation did not pursue this based on the facts that this was a consensual matter. However this employee has spread these very serious false claims to coworkers and the company has suspended me because of these false allegations. I am currently awaiting a hearing for my job and my personal and family stress level is tremendous because of this false claim. Can I sue for slander and what are my rights? Please help!

Thank you for choosing Just Answer:


Yes you can sue for defamation specifically slander. You can also ask for an injunction to prevent continued slander. If you have documented physical or mental impairment because of the continuing slander you may be able to ask for damages for emotional distress, or file a claim for the intentional infliction of emotional distress..


You need to be aware the a law suit for slander can be difficult to win. You will need to prove the statements were false. The defendant does not need to prove they were true.


If you found this answer useful please ACCEPT my answer; press the appropriate quality of service button of 3 or greater. This is needed so I can get credit for my answer. If you have follow up questions please ask.


This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship.Information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information.



Jack R. and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Is emotional and physical distress based on my marriage being compramised as well as me not eating and sleeping. Also having headaches and feeling very down most of the time. what will a injunction actually do?

Yes you can claim damages for emotional distress caused by the slander. You can also sue for the intentional infliction of emotional distress. These are 2 separate entitles. The first is a claim for damages, the latter is a specific tort that if proven allows you recovery for the injury caused and potentially punitive damages.