How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jack R. Your Own Question
Jack R.
Jack R., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 6147
Experience:  OH/TX Practicing Attorney focusing on Family Law, Foreclosure, Landlord-Tenant Issues.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Jack R. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi. I have a very contentious post divorce situation. My

This answer was rated:

Hi. I have a very contentious post divorce situation. My ex accuses me of everything under the sun, including carrying weapons. The last order out of the court was liberal sharing time with my children. There is no other court order. A GAl was brought into the case and wanted to draw up an agreement for me to have supervised visits with my children because she believe his allegations and I think at some point my kids could have made false allegations against me. I am getting her case notes to figure this out. Any way I went to my kids' schools and both principals blocked me from entering the school's grounds. They wrote a letter to this effect. They also told me that my ex had recently visited the schools. Anyway, they are asking for the last court order. I gave it to them but they do not seem to want to adhere to it. They want more info but there is none. What are my rights? Being a non-custodial parent does not seem to be grounds for barring me. I feel this has to be illegal.

Hi, thank you for asking your question today. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

Is there a parenting plan that defines you rights as the non custodial parent ?

When you are at the school is it for a school function involving the children ?

What does the last court order state about you access to the children at school if anything?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi. Thanks for responding. No there is no parenting plan that defines my rights. It just says that he has them during the weeks and I have them the majority of holidays and weekends. I have not been at the school for anything. I went in to introduce myself to the principal and get the kids' grades. The parenting agreement says nothing about access to the children at school. I live out of state.

Since you do not have weekday visitation it is probably appropriate that you are not allowed access at school. You can ask your ex to tell the school to allow you access on the days you are in town. Without being able to convince your ex, you would need to get a court to allow you access through a modification of your custody agreement.



This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship.Information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information.


Customer: replied 4 years ago.

what does my participating in the school have anything to do with custody? i do not understand. there are many non custodial parents who go to their kid's school.

There have been many children abducted from schools by their non custodial parents. The schools to protect themselves have developed authorization procedures to allow parent access to children at school. Schools and responsible for the safety and welfare of the children at school.


Non custodial parents can go to school if they are authorized by the custodial parent or by court order. Many separation agreements within the order provide that a non custodial parent is to pick the child up from school to start the visitation period. These non custodial parent would have authorization by virtue of the parenting agreement and perhaps permission from the custodial parent.


You do not have visitation that commences after school period. You do not have authorization to see your children at school. To resolve this you either need to get your ex wife to authorize your seeing the children, or get a court order allowing your access to the children at school.



This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship.Information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information.

Jack R. and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you