How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawHelpNow Your Own Question
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 7639
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LawHelpNow is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A website called, "" published a terrible post

This answer was rated:

A website called, "" published a terrible post about me. I asked the webmaster, Nik Richie, to remove the post. He never answered my early requests. 3rd request; he sent me an ip address that was useless (apparently from the original poster.) 4th attempt, ignored. 5th attempt, he told me they will no longer take removal requests from 3rd party informers. The post has been up over a year, with almost 300 terrible comments, and over 6,000 views. This has drastically effected my life, extending to co-workers, friends, family, and everyone I know. I've been in recovery from 24 years of bulimia. The post makes a comment about me being bulimic, and nik richie responds with, "so true". Since this was published, I relapsed from bulimia and was admitted into an inpatient residential eating disorder treatment program. After a few days, my insurance denied coverage, and I was released from treatment. I cannot possibly afford to pay the cost of treatment, along with the dental bills from relapse. I want to know if I have a case against this individual. thank you

Hello Kayla,

My name isXXXXX a licensed attorney. Glad to try and help out.

Sure sorry for the circumstances, truly. My heart goes out to you.

Accordingly, I'm pleased to share the following information. Having carefully considered everything you're shared here, here is what I would recommend. You have more than enough reason to consider two tort law causes of action, namely intentional infliction of emotional distress and defamation of character. It's a highly fact-specific matter, meaning an attorney must carefully examine every relevant aspect of the matter. However, I can say that while of course I'm terribly sorry for your health issues, the bulimia relapse and associated mental trauma is of huge evidentiary importance to such a case.
There are some instances where going forward without legal counsel is a viable option. This is not one of them, however, and in all candor proceeding as a pro perlitigant would not be advisable here, which I realize of course you realize. This is especially true given the fact that you mentioned this person has already conferred with a lawyer. So, your next step at this juncture is to confer with legal counsel, but the good news is that process is entirely free of charge to you. I can only imagine what a stressful and trying time this is for you, so please believe me I mean it when I say I am glad to say there is a way to seek justice without having the burden of trying to pay attorneys' fees .
To help folks in this online venue, I am required to follow site rules including refraining from accepting cases and/or making direct referrals to named attorneys. However, I can tell you where I would turn were I in your very shoes. Toward that end, my very next step would be to take advantage of the resources of the non-profit, American Bar Association accredited, National Board of Trial Advocacy Division of the National Board of Legal Specialty Certification. Here is a listing of all such Board Certified Civil Trial Advocates practicing in your jurisdiction (please just click the following link):

These folks would generally be regarded as the cream of the crop, so to speak, and I believe your best chance of securing the dual-practice area competency you seek lies in this database, which is also officially endorsed by the State Bar of California. This is a process that can only be accomplished by making contact with a law firm, as I've outlined. Nothing will change without exploring your options, so I would encourage you to do so as your next step to standing up for yourself.

If you have a follow-up question or need clarification, please just say the word by using "reply" to reach me.

You deserve to be treated properly, and I truly hope all works out for you.

Take care,

Ben, J.D.

LawHelpNow and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you so much for the response. Should I also consider how this has effected my employment? I lost my job while this happened, and everyone from the UC berkeley alumni association read this horrific post. There's also a number of anti-Semitic references within the replies, and I am very close with my Jewish community. I was working with Jewish women recovering from eating disorders, now I feel so embarrassed to show my face, especially around those I've helped overcome eating disorders. Nothing like this has ever happened to me, and I'm scared for my safety.

Hello Kayla

I enjoyed working with you recently.

How are things going?

Is there anything else I can do to help?

Please just let me know.


Ben, J.D.