How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask dylatess Your Own Question
dylatess, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 5156
Experience:  37 plus years representing clients with their legal issues
Type Your Legal Question Here...
dylatess is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My nephew passed away before he and his finance could marry.

This answer was rated:

My nephew passed away before he and his finance could marry. She and her two children have been living with me since that happened which was over a year ago. She would like me to adopt her so she could have my name and feel part of my nephew's family. I do not object to adopting her. I know there isn't a problem. Could you please tell me the procedures and possibly the cost involved. She is 38 years old. We live in TN.
Hello and thank you for your question. For over 34 years I have answered questions just like yours. And I look forward to assisting you.

So sorry to hear about your loss. Note, what you are asking about is called an adult adoption because the person you are adopting is over 18. And the procedure is quite simple. To begin, both of you need to go to the closest state court, (not federal) and ask the clerk for adult adoption forms. Fill them out and both of you must sign them. Then file them with the court. The court will then give you a copy of the petition which must be published in a nespaper and the clerk will give you the list of newspapers that will do this. After it is published, you will need to appear in court to finalize the matter. I wish you well.
dylatess and 8 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you