Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

What is considered a threat via text messages when I have someone

blocked from regular house phones...
What is considered a threat via text messages when I have someone blocked from regular house phones due to threatening and harassing calls. Its a male I've known for about 3 plus years who's always been friendly but has a history of arrests for violence, battery, assault, domestic abuse, arson etc... know him through FB and a game app that is popular and it was like he just snapped the last few months.. now he is telling me to go talk to my local police and talk to them i might want to be scared NOW.. watch and see he say.. hours ago he sent me txt saying it was time he took a trip here to see just how tough my husband is and I will get mine.. we live couple states apart .
3/13/2013
Joseph
Joseph, Attorney

A threat via text would be a message that contains language suggesting harm where the author has the apparent ability to carry out that harm. For example, if the author made a comment suggesting he was coming over to cause you harm, but he was in a distant foreign country, it likely would not be considered a true threat.

.

Regardless of whether this is actually threatening, you might consider contacting the police anyway. Even if they don't believe there was anything criminal, they may very well be willing to contact this person and threaten a prosecution and/or arrest anyway.

.
I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on "OK", "Good" or "Excellent" service. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to click on one of the positive indicators. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.
.
If you are not yet satisfied with my answer, please do not yet rate my service. Instead, please click on the "Reply to Expert" and let me know what else I can do for you. Please only rate my answer when you are fully satisfied.
.
Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.
.
Leaving a bonus is not required but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck.

Baltimore to the nw burbs of Chicago is a drive but not that far.. as I saiid he has a long arrest record of all types of assaults on humans.. there is a restraining order on him by his long time live in GF and he is n ot allowed to see his kids without court supervision or other adult supervision.. I like many thought he got the wrong end of the split/custody deal.. I never had a reason to doubt him until towards end of last year.. he kept saying to me one day in a phone conversation you know there is this website you can find out if anyone has been arrest.. I laughed and said so what you find on me.. NOTHING you are so squeaky clean.. so I thought it was a joke and put him in... OMG was I in shock.... unfortunately he does show signs of being untreated bipolar (my mother was so I know first hand).. and another male friend of both of us on the game/social app does counseling for vets from Nam and Iraq and says he is showing all the signs of whatever syndrome they are seeing in these people... I am the only one he has ever given his real personal info to.. no one that knows him of all the regulars on the app know his last name or much more only a few know he lives in Baltimore.. One of the male players in our group is a psychologist but left practice due to politics of medical field.. he is a trained chef now.. but he said to me last week.. HE IS STALKING YOU.. he shows all the classic signs.. he is obsessed with you but the fury is because you don't obey and submit to him.. he could be dangerous... I've ignored him when playing and also have him blocked on all the house phones last month he spammed me for 24 hours straight calling every hour on the hour.. then left a nasty phone message for my husband telling him of things I was doing (which are not true)...husband knows he and I are friends... one of the moderators of this app.. female.. silenced him for x time for posts to me that were vulgar and sexist.. he in turn sent her messages of how he was going to tie her up and make her watch while he tortured her 6 year old son .. I have copies all of this in print.. I wil call local PD tomorrow when they open.. I honestly think its a bluff but he's so unstable now and unpredictable who knows.

Thank you for the additional information, it certainly sheds some light on what you have had to endure. While I don't see a new question, I suspect you are inquiring as to whether these actions might constitute threatening behavior. I would suggest that they do. With this in mind, I would stand by my original post suggesting that you consider calling local law enforcement to report this. Hopefully the call to your local PD today goes well and they help you out on this matter. When you speak with them, be sure to provide every bit of relevant detail.

.
.
.
.

Joseph
Joseph, Attorney
Joseph
Joseph
Joseph, Attorney