How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawHelpNow Your Own Question
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 7639
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LawHelpNow is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am looking for help in dealing with local government departments

This answer was rated:

I am looking for help in dealing with local government departments and possibly a church regarding storm water management. I live in an older neighbourhood that has recently had a large church built releativly close. Since the church and it parking lot has been built I have suffered flooded basement issues twice in the last few years. Although the local city agrees that elevations have been changed they will not help with the storm water management. My local town government also has lots of answers about what needs to be done but no action is being taken. I believe both the city, town and church have some responsibility to return the storm water management back to its original state. My family and I have suffered greatly with these continuing issues and I hate to think what it may do to the value of my home and the ability to sell. Please can anyone help ?

Hello Chris,

My name isXXXXX a licensed attorney. Glad to try and help out.

Sure sorry for your circumstances. My heart goes out to you, truly.

Accordingly, I'm happy to share some good news with you, as follows.

You absolutely do have rights here, and I commend you for realizing the need for assistance. The law governs both the flow of water and the right to the use and enjoyment of one's property without having it destroyed or compromised by other parties. In all candor, self-represented parties often just don't command the attention of those with a lawyer. Having carefully read and considered everything you posted, here is what I would recommend based on the information you have shared.

I would have the case screened on the merits by a plaintiffs' trial attorney. If an attorney accepts the case pursuant to the customary contingency fee agreement there would be no up-front charges to you. Rather, your legal counsel would only get paid out of the proceeds of a verdict or settlement if he or she were successful in obtaining a favorable outcome and winning the case on your behalf. This can only be done through having a lawyer review your circumstances, meaning it cannot be done in this online informational venue. In other words, you have done all you can do, your next step at this juncture is to confer with legal counsel, but the good news is that process is entirely free of charge to you.

I can only imagine what a stressful and trying time this is for you, so please believe me I mean it when I say I am glad to say there is a way to seek justice without having the burden of trying to pay attorneys' fees . To help folks in this online venue, I am required to follow site rules including refraining from accepting cases and/or making direct referrals to named attorneys. However, I can tell you where I would turn were I in your very shoes. Toward that end, my very next step would be to take advantage of the resources of the non-profit, American Bar Association accredited, National Board of Trial Advocacy Division of the National Board of Legal Specialty Certification. Here is a listing of all such Board Certified Civil Trial Advocates practicing in your jurisdiction (please just click the following link):


I believe you owe it to yourself to do that much given all that is at stake. You deserve to be treated properly, and I hope you see justice accomplished.

If you have a follow-up question or need clarification, please just say the word by using "reply" to reach me.

I truly hope all works out for you and your family.

Take care,

Ben, J.D.

LawHelpNow and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Hello Chris,

I enjoyed working with you recently.

How are things going?

Is there anything else I can do to help?

Please just let me know.


Ben, J.D.