How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TexLaw Your Own Question
TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
TexLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi - I live in VT and was raped almost a year ago. Since then,

This answer was rated:

Hi - I live in VT and was raped almost a year ago. Since then, there has been an investigation only after a meeting I had with the States Attorney and a representative from Victims Advocate. They contacted the local Police Dept with several questions and persons of interest in my case. The officer that brought me to the hospital was also the same officer that was made aware of a problem between myself and the accused months earlier and failed to investigate the issue. The officer did not stay with my at the hospital. She states in her afidavit that she requested that photos be taken on my neck, but she was NOT at the hospital when the photos were taken. I feel as though my case was mishandled by the police department. Can I file a Civil Suit on them or the person that raped me??

Thank you for your question and I'm very sorry to hear about this happening to you.

You may certainly file an assault lawsuit against the person who raped you. The most important issue there is whether the scum bag has any money. If he does, then you should contact a local plaintiff's personal injury attorney to handle the claim.

In regard to your lawsuit against the police for failing to investigate, these claims are much harder to win. You must prove that the police officer and department were negligent in their investigation and that they abused their discretion in that failure. You do have a right to file the claim, but they are hard to win.

Please let me know if you need further information and please remember to rate my answer positively so that I am paid by the website for my work on your question.

TexLaw and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you