How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118192
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a granddaughter who continues to be violent. The last

This answer was rated:

I have a granddaughter who continues to be violent. The last time she left me badly bruised and broke out three windows in our home. We have tried for the last two years spending over $75,000 to try and help this child but nothing seems to help her. We honestly feel like she is a ticking time bomb and that is sad to say but it's the truth.

She will be 16 next month and if she doesn't change quickly, she will not have a future. What are our options?
I am sorry that you have to go through this, it is sad and so uncalled for. I am not going to mention about committing her to a mental health treatment facility, since you said you have spent $75,000 on her and I am presuming treatment has not worked.

I am afraid at this point, you are really in a situation that you are going to have to make some tough decisions. First, the court will not generally emancipate her for this reason, so this really is not an option unless you can prove she has employment and can support herself.

Another option you need to look at going to court and filing a petition to have her declared ungovernable and the court can make her a ward of the state. If she is as violent as you say, this may not work either because the foster system will not help her much.

Finally, I am afraid that really the best solution for this type of situation is the hardest choice to make and that is you need to have her arrested when she acts this way and pursue the charges through the court without backing down and let them sentence her to jail because I am afraid a jail is the only place that can handle the type of violent behavior you are describing above. Someone with that type of violence will eventually seriously hurt or kill someone and you need to protect yourself and follow through with criminal charges when it happens again as now she is 16 they will charge her as an adult.

I am sorry to say that these are really your only legal options.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.


There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq. and 9 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you