How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27287
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am an unwed pregnant 21 year old woman, my baby is due in

Customer Question

I am an unwed pregnant 21 year old woman, my baby is due in april. When I found out I was pregnant I was living with my babys father. At the time, he did not have a job, had fines, no license, on probation, and 2 court ordered classes. I worked full time as a server And full time student, with my school 2 hours away as it was the school offering the specific classes I wanted to take. Since my 5th month, i moved out of his mothers household and in with my mom. He would get angry and get violent (pushing me,screAming in my face, punching and head butting holes in the wAlls.) On one occasion he got so mad at me he attacked me onto the couch, his friend pulling him off me. Not to mention his mother is very sick and constantly in and out the hospital and on a crazy number of various medicines. Throughout my pregnancy, he has not helped nor even offered. His job and legal situations are still the same. He parties, smokes weed, and drinks, posting pictures on the internet. He said he was gonna sue me for custody. What are my parental rights for protecting my child and myself
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 4 years ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good morning. I certainly understand your situation and concern. Before he can even try and obtain custody of the child, he would first need to establish paternity. After doing this, he could then decide to petition/motion the court for visitation and/or custody, unless you and him can come to an informal agreement, outside of court. The Judge is always going to act in the best interest of the child and based upon the facts which you stated above, it sounds as though you have a strong argument to object to him having custody of the child and limiting him to only visitation. Moreover, you could seek to have child support court ordered, so he obligated to pay it. He is going to have to show the Judge that he can properly care for the child when he/she is in his care and custody and if that can not be done, the Judge may not order custody or even visitation, until he takes parenting classes. In addition, if he ever touches you again or threatens you, you need to call the police and file a report against him.