How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118198
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello! I am a self contained autism teacher in the same school

This answer was rated:

Hello! I am a self contained autism teacher in the same school for six years with perfect attendance and great evaluations until this year. I have a lot of documentation to prove my case. At this time I have had has seven assistants in and out of my classroom whom have been falsely accussed of several things ranging from being violent, stealing and making fun of kids. My original assistant and I have had our Miranda rights read to us with no findings from school police and have had to have assistants removed from the building due to safety concerns because of parents verbal abuse and attempts to physically attack. I have now been targeted with my evaluations etc for the false accussations and so they can cover what they did and didnt do in regards XXXXX XXXXX laws. I have documentation of educators lying about things that are clearly in the legal paperwork with numerous signatures. My question I guess is how much am I required to take? Can I sue for defamation of character? How do I keep my assistants safe from future slander? Parent targets assistants not the teacher but admin is targeting teacher due to their lack of understanding autism curriculum laws etc.
This is a crying shame that educators who have to teach special needs children have to live in constant fear of false allegations and attacks from parents. Unfortunately, unless the school system agrees to install cameras in your room for protection, your documentation is the only real protection you have along with the supporting statements of your co-workers. If you have proof that you are complying with the laws and guidelines you are bound to follow and can demonstrate that to the school, if they try to take action against you then you would have grounds for a grievance and seeking arbitration as well.

As far as the parent making known false allegations, you can sue the parent for slander/libel for making such allegations and causing harm to your reputation because in the classroom your loss of reputation led to these poor evaluations and this is damage sufficient to sue them over.

Your real recourse is suing the parents who make false allegations, which would get the message out to all other parents very quickly that you will not tolerate false claims and also get the union involved to fight for cameras or some other type of protection in your classroom and to file a grievance over the bad evaluations based on you following the laws you have to follow.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.


There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq. and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you