Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Can parents be required to pay court costs/lawyers fees if

Can parents be required to...
Can parents be required to pay court costs/lawyer's fees if children, age 19 (and not yet a High School grad) enter into a court case that does not involve the parents?
3/1/2013
lwpat
lwpat, Attorney
Thanks for using JA. I will do my best to answer your questions. DON’T FORGET, your deposit is not used to compensate me until you rate my service.

Can you explain the situation in more detail. Why do you think you may be responsible for court costs.

our HS Senior reported battery to authorities and put a restraining order in place. Two weeks later the charges and order were requested dropped. However, the State is taking over in prosecuting and the 'child' seems to be planning to fight prosecution indepentently of parents

In a criminal proceeding the state prosecutes and the defendant is responsible for retaining their own representation, either a private attorney or a public defender if eligible. Only if your child is the one being charged would their be any possible fine, court costs or attorney fees. Does that make sense and answer your question.
lwpat
lwpat, Attorney
lwpat
lwpat
lwpat, Attorney