How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 117348
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In the state of Ky , how should the money be used that is granted

Customer Question

In the state of Ky , how should the money be used that is granted to the client. The client monthly income 2,924 per month and AP 12,075 per month . Money granted 980.00 per month.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  MShore replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the post, I am happy to assist you by answering your questions. Is this in the context of a divorce?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no a review requested by the client

Expert:  MShore replied 4 years ago.
Can you tell me a bit more of the context?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes my son is 16 and stays with his mom , he has been suspended from school and in trouble with the law , he works at a car body shop and does online school , i have been paying 500 a month and took a new job and increased my income, i just want the money for him and be used or put away for him ,that is what is not needed for his up keep

Expert:  MShore replied 4 years ago.
Thank you, I will opt out in favor of a family law attorney.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
I am afraid that under the KY child support laws, the court will not forcibly allocate the payments of child support and will not dictate what the receiving parent does with the money. Child support is for the parent to spend to care for and provide for the child, it is not the child's money or right, it is a right to the custodial parent.

With this said, you have raised a good issue in that he is working and thus can support himself and pay the custodial parent money for his own care. This means you do have some grounds to argue to terminate support and file a motion to emancipate him because he is not in school and is working. Once you do this, then you as his non-custodial parent can set up your own accounts for him and put the money away the way you want it to be put away and you can even give him money directly as you see fit.

However, as long as the money is called child support under the court's order you cannot argue or demand how the custodial parent uses the money I am afraid.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.


There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Related Legal Questions