How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 55594
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I made a loan to someone who gave me their vehicle title as

This answer was rated:

I made a loan to someone who gave me their vehicle title as collateral. They are not making their payments or responding to request for payments.

I am shown/recorded on the title as the 1st lien holder and have the title in my possession.

How do I seize the vehicle and sell it to pay off the loan?

The state is NC.
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good evening. You have the right to go repossess the car. In doing so, you will need to avoid breaching the peace or breaking and entering. Otherwise, you can simply go take the car. Once you have the car, you can schedule a sale of the car. You will need to give your borrower notice of the time and date of the sale. Once sold, you can sue the borrower for any deficiency...i.e, the amount owed in excess of the amount from the sale. Once the suit is filed and a judgment awarded, you become a judgment creditor, and if the losing party doesn’t then pay the judgment, you can have the sheriff serve a summons on the losing party for a debtor examination. That forces the losing party to meet the judgment creditor in court and answer questions under oath about the losing party's assets. After that information is obtained, the judgment creditor has the power to attach bank accounts, and/or have the sheriff seize other property to satisfy the judgment.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I would prefer to use a repo service. What documents will they need?

Thanks for responding. They simply need the title showing you as lien holder. You would also want to give them a copy of your note and copy of the security agreement evidencing the lien if you did one.
Richard and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.


You're very's my pleasure to help. Take care!
Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help!