How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TexLaw Your Own Question
TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
TexLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I purchased a vehicle recently to accomadate my children and

This answer was rated:

I purchased a vehicle recently to accomadate my children and my boyfriends. He told me he aunt was going to send money to help us out, because it was an expensive purchase. He asked me to write up something stating if he paid $4000 for the vehicle he could have it, i agreed. He had me sign it under false pretenses. He packed his things minutes after while i was at work. I had asked via text that i should put a clause, if we are no longer together. He said i am not going to run off, and not pay you. Well he ended up taking the truck, not paying a dime and changed his number. What can i do? Did he steal it, what should i do.
Thank you for your question.
Is the vehicle title in your name or in his name?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it is ONLY in my name
So, from what I'm understanding, you agreed to give him the car for $4,000.00, but he never made any payment and took the car.
This may qualify a crime if he intended to steal the car from you. You can contact the police and report the vehicle stolen. I would explain to the police your situation though and make sure they understood that it was theft by trick and that you gave the keys to your ex.
Because you did in fact give the keys to him and enter into an agreement that he can have the car for $4,000 the police may tell you that you must handle this in the civil courts.
If this is the case, you will need to sue him for Conversion and Fraud and seek an injunction ordering him to turn the car over to you. This will not be a small claims case and you will need to bring the case in the district court. You will need an attorney to do this and you will need to be able to locate your ex.
If you are able to locate the vehicle and it is not locked away behind a fence, you may also have the vehicle towed to your house and have a locksmith change the locks on the vehicle.
Please let me know if you have further questions and please remember to rate my answer positively so that I am compensated for my work by the website.
TexLaw and 7 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you