How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Swartz Your Own Question
Thomas Swartz
Thomas Swartz, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 3154
Experience:  Twenty one years experience as a lawyer in New York and New Jersey. Former Appellate Law Clerk.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Thomas Swartz is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am in a post secondary school in Florida. I was told that

This answer was rated:

I am in a post secondary school in Florida. I was told that I must receive a Hep B Vaccination or withdraw from school. I am 52 years old and I do not want to do this. Can I legally be dismissed from school? Thank You, Teresa

I do not believe you are required to have the vaccination provided you provide the school with a vaccination waiver provided by the school. There is a specific Florida law dealing with this which is found in Florida Statutes § 1006.69, which provides as follows:

1006.69 Vaccination against meningococcal meningitis and hepatitis B.

(1) A postsecondary educational institution shall provide detailed information concerning the risks associated with meningococcal meningitis and hepatitis B and the availability, effectiveness, and known contraindications of any required or recommended vaccine to every student, or to the student’s parent if the student is a minor, who has been accepted for admission.

(2) An individual enrolled in a postsecondary educational institution who will be residing in on-campus housing shall provide documentation of vaccinations against meningococcal meningitis and hepatitis B unless the individual, if the individual is 18 years of age or older, or the individual’s parent, if the individual is a minor, declines the vaccinations by signing a separate waiver for each of these vaccines, provided by the institution, acknowledging receipt and review of the information provided (in subdivision 1 above).

So, I would bring this statute to the attention of the school and ask to sign their waiver of vaccination form.

I hope this helps.


Thomas Swartz and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you