Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Hi, my name isXXXXX and Im a student of Philadelphia

Hi, my name isXXXXX and...
Hi, my name isXXXXX and I'm a student of Philadelphia Community College. This year I taken The Introduction to Paralegal Studies. I'm very interested in this course, because I would like to know more about legal studies. Now I'm looking for a mentor who can help me in my future career of paralegal.So, I have some questions about this career of paralegal or lawyer.
1) Please tell me something about yourself?
2)How did you get to where you are today?
3)Why did you choose to become a paralegal or lawyer? Why did you choose to specialize in this area of the law?
4)What are the most important skills for a paralegal or lawyer?
5)What role do legal ethics play in a legal career ?
6)Is your work concentrated with a small group of clients?
7)What tools and methods do you use for the day to day organization and planning of your work?
8))What do you perceive is the future of paralegals in this economy?
9)How do you think the firm and its practice, or your department, will change in the next few years?
10)A crisis in your life or job and how you responded or recovered from it?
11)A time in your career or job where you had to overcome stress?
12)Is there anything you would have done differently in your career ?
13)What kind the best advice you could give about a career in the legal field ?
14)What you enjoy most about your job and why?
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/25/2013
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Hello there:

I am an outstanding chef.

A significant amount of hard work and sacrifice.

Having a legal education is very practical. I use my training on a daily basis, even outside of work. I wanted to have that knowledge so I could further the interests of myself and those close to me. I currently specialize in contract law; I like it because it is more about law than facts, and that makes it more of a theory-based practice, which I enjoy.

Attention to detail, compassion for the client, and most importantly, a love for the work.

People entrust you with their livelihood, freedom, and sometimes their lives. Performing your duties in an ethically sound manner is essential.

Yes, I have one client for whom I work full time.

I have a legal assistant who handles a lot of the mechanical aspects of my organizational needs. I also keep a list of everything I must due and prioritize the items on that list.

I expect that paralegals will be relied upon more heavily as a low-cost alternative to attorney representation, so I expect that consumers will have increasing contact with them in the future. However, right now, the prospects of employment for paralegals are utterly abysmal. If someone attends school to receive training as a paralegal, they should expect to not be employed as a paralegal when they finish.

Probably not at all. My client is a large organization that I do not expect to culturally change in the next few years.

Previous to my present job, one of my clients was murdered by their spouse and kidnapped their child, fleeing out of state. I wasn't getting paid, but I helped the child's grandparents with the numerous legal issues that arose in the months thereafter.

Still working on it, but the work can be intense, so it is important to separate your personal life from the job. Eating well, getting enough sleep, exercising, and forcing yourself to have time with family and to relax are essential if you hope to see your 50th birthday.

I actually would have pursued pharmacy first, then attended law school if I felt up to it and taken the patent bar. I enjoy my work, but I think that I would have enjoyed that career path more.

Stay out of it. As I mentioned, the job market for paralegals is atrocious right now, and it is not going to get better. The Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates average to below average growth in that field over the next decade, but that only tells part of the story because the number of people attempting to enter the field is extremely high. I would estimate that there is less than one new job for every 10 people graduating with formal paralegal training. It isn't much better for lawyers. There are 30,000 new law jobs created every year and 45,000 new attorneys admitted to the various bars. This means that even if you spend three years in law school and even if you pass the bar exam, the odds are 1 out of 3 that there will be no job for you. Tuition costs are extremely high and most people graduate with $150,000 in debt, while the median starting salary (again, if you are lucky enough to find work) is around $60,000, which means that if you find a job practicing law, there is a 50% chance that you will be making $60,000 or less per year. It's really a foolish pursuit right now--if you are sincere about wanting to enter the field, find work doing something else for now and wait until the market improves.

I enjoy helping people. It's very satisfying when you can solve a major problem.

I hope that this helps!
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law

Thank you ,this information very helpful for me,but I also need your full name if it's possible ,e-mail contact, and what firm did you work?.This information I need for my project,because I have to introduce some attorney who helped me with my questions and answered them.

Unfortunately, one of the website's terms of service is that our attorneys are not allowed to give out our personal contact information (lest we steal away their business, I suppose). If you click on the green "verified" check mark next to my name, you can see that I am verified as licensed to practice law. However, I cannot release any additional personal information without the website's permission. I truly am sorry about those limitations.

Ok.thank you for your help!

Brandon M.
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law