TexLaw
TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
17219180

At the airport in Dusseldorf my carry on bag was stolen, Saturday

At the airport in Dusseldorf my carry on bag was stolen, Saturday 26th of January 2013.
I am AA Gold member, and while I was checking in at the Priority lane counter my carry on bag was stolen,
Two Air Berlin check in agents told the police they saw two guys behind me who took my bag.
Why they did not warn me or trying to stop them? Why Air Berlin did not have security agent at Priority lane?
Why security video cameras did not work at that time?
In my carry on bag I had my Sony loptop with personal information (user names, bank accounts, passwords), Chase Bank check book, credit cards, hotel cards, rent a car cards, medical/dental cards from work, 2012 income tax return papers, iPod, US$6,500, 100 euros, my technical information from my job collected for more then 15 years, then US drivers license, my car registration, insurance card, my Serbian passport, drivers license, ID card, my NY house keys and ADT alarm remote control.
I want to file lawsuit against Air Berlin for present and future suffering and pain. Can I?
Let me know if you can help me, please.
Jonel Caprdja

Thank you for your question. You would not be able to file a lawsuit in the United States for an incident that happened in the airport in Germany as the courts in the United States would not have jurisdiction over the claim, and Germany would be a better location of the lawsuit.

Assuming you could afford to file a lawsuit in Germany, the lawsuit would be based on general negligence and premises liability principles. Generally, Air Berlin would not be held accountable for the acts of third party criminals and the lawsuit would likely fail.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

-ZDN