Can a person file a civil lawsuit against another person or…

Can a person file a...
Can a person file a civil lawsuit against another person or group of persons who continue to post annoying, hurtful, inaccurate information about them on the Internet via sites such as Facebook, Twitter, and other individually created websites?
2/21/2013
TexLaw
TexLaw, Attorney

Thank you for your question.

The law counterbalances the freedom of speech with your rights to not be abused by lies under the cause of action called Defamation. Defamation is where a person has made a false statement about you to a third person either in writing or verbally which is false, causes harm to your reputation, and causes you damages.

You may make this claim by suing the person who is making the false allegations about you online.

Do you know who that person is?

-ZDN

Yes, I do know the persons making the posts. It is a group of people who are unhappy with decisions I made as a school administrator. They are continuing to post annoying, harrassing, bullying, and potentially reputation damaging information most of which is only partially accurate at best and is usually completely inaccurate.

Thank you for your response.

The first step you should take is to send a Cease and Desist letter to the individuals. You can either do this personally, or you can hire an attorney to do it for you. The Cease and Desist letter essentially tells the person making the wrongful statements to stop or they will be sued. Of course, this carries more force when sent from a lawyer.

The next step would be to actually file the lawsuit if the Cease and Desist letter's demands are not complied with. In Texas, a couple just won a defamation lawsuit for $13.2 million for things being said about them on a social media site. Now, the things being said about them were absolutely outrageous and vile, but you see my point. These lawsuits are effective and can protect you.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

-ZDN

TexLaw
TexLaw, Attorney
TexLaw
TexLaw
TexLaw, Attorney