How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TexLaw Your Own Question
TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
TexLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What is the federal procedure to subpoena someone outside California

This answer was rated:

What is the federal procedure to subpoena someone outside California for a California district court case


Thank you for your question.

The procedure you are looking for is located in FRCP 45:

You need to file a request to the clerk for the subpoena. You will need to know the exact location of the person you are trying to subpoena. Also, if you are trying to command the person to appear at the California court to give testimony, you may have to file a special motion with the court asking the judge to approve the subpoena. Otherwise, you will need to make the subpoena for a deposition where the person lives to take that person's testimony (the court does not like to compel people to come more than 100 miles from where they live if they are out of state).

Please let me know if you have further questions.


TexLaw and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

Related Legal Questions