How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TexLaw Your Own Question
TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
TexLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I loaned a friend $1000, she paid me $200 can I sue for the

This answer was rated:

I loaned a friend $1000, she paid me $200 can I sue for the rest?


You are entitled to sue for the remainder. This would be a relatively easy lawsuit, especially if you have her promising to pay you back in writing (email, text, etc).

All you need to do is file a small claims lawsuit against her.

You'll need to file it at the small claims court nearest her address. If you can tell me what city that is, I'll pull up the information on where you need to go to file the claim and see if i can locate some forms for you.


Customer: replied 4 years ago.

She lives in Dallas but I do not know the address but i know the work address.XXXXXWiles Barre Pa

She lives in Dallas, but you live in Pennsylvania?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Its Dallas, Pennsylvania Luzerne County

Thank you for the clarification.

You will need to go to the Luzerne County court house and pick up a form to file, there are no forms online that I have been able to locate.

This will be in Magisterial District Court atXXXXX Wilkes-Barre, PA 18702. It's probably a good idea to give them a call at(NNN) NNN-NNNNand ask them how much the fees are for filing the suit and whether they want you to use a form they have there or if they can email or fax one over to you so that you can mail it in along with the fee.

Please let me know if you have further questions.


Customer: replied 4 years ago.

what do I write on the lawsuit

Small claims court is like the People's Court or Judge Judy. It's very simple.

The form will have a space that asks you to state the basis of your claim, and you write:

"On ___________(date), I loaned ____________ (name of Defendant) $1,000.00. Defendant agreed to repay me within 1 year. Defendant paid me $200.00 on _______(date). Since that time, the Defendant has refused to pay me the outstanding amount that is due. I am requesting this court grant me a judgment in the amount of $800.00 plus court costs."

And that's it...a simple statement of the claim.


Customer: replied 4 years ago.

one more question


I wrote a check to my self for the money and gave her cash can I use that as evidence. I no longer have the txt where she said about paying me the money . can I get a copy of text messaging from my cell phone carrier?


You can use a copy of the check as evidence, although you will have to explain why you wrote a check to yourself instead of to her. In other words, its not really evidence of the loan as it doesn't have her name on it.

In regard to getting the text from your cell phone carrier, it all depends on whether they want to cooperate with you or not. Generally, since it was from your cell phone, they will give you a copy of it. You need to do that ASAP because those type of requests can take a while. If they do not cooperate with you, you can ask the court to issue a subpoena of the cell phone carrier for a transcript of your text messages.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok thanks

You are welcome. Don't forget to rate my answer positively so that I am compensated for working on your question.

Best of Luck,


TexLaw and 8 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you