TexLaw
TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
17219180

Hi,Me and a friend are currently developping a boardgame

Hi, Me and a friend are currently developping a boardgame based on the Hollywood movie studios system of the early 20th century. We'd like to know if it is legally possible to use actor's and director's pictures and names from that time, as well as logos and names of the different movie studios and movie names.

We are developping the game in Canada but need to know if its ok here and in the USA.

Thank you!

Mathieu Chevalier

Hi, I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am ok with that, thanks!

Thank you for your patience. We will continue the search for a Professional for you.

Regards,

Wendy

Thank you for your question. Using an actor/director's picture and name for commercial benefit violates the actor/director's right to publicity. In other words, the actor/director must give their consent to the use of their photograph and name. This applies for most actor/directors even if they are dead, as California state law grants protection for 70 years after death. Thus, in that circumstance, you must obtain authorization from the estate of the deceased actor/director. Authorization is not free and may require payment by you of a royalty.

Further, the photographs you intend on using are also protected by US copyright laws. You must obtain a license for the use of these photographs from the person who owns the photographs before you can use it on a board game.

Please let me know if you have further questions regarding this matter.

-ZDN

TexLaw, Attorney
Experience: Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks!

What about logos and names of the different movie studios and movie names?

Same thing goes. You need to get authorization from the owners of the logos and movie names for sure.
TexLaw, Attorney