How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TexLaw Your Own Question
TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
TexLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I filed bankruptcy about 3 years ago personal and business.

This answer was rated:

I filed bankruptcy about 3 years ago personal and business. I did not include a business which I owe 5203.00 and just received a letter in the mail from C2C Resources, LLC to contact them. MY business is closed and was not an LLC. My husband is disabled and can not get disability at this time and I am the only one working. I make about 20,000 a year. I believe in the state of Florida it has to be under 5000 to go to small claims. I am struggling financially now. What are my options? How far can they pursue this matter?What do you suggest I do. Thanks


Thank you for your question.

Did you file Chapter 7 and where there any assets that were distributed to the creditors?

I look forward to hearing back from you.


Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It was a chapter 7 and nothing was distributed to the creditors. We got to keep the house but sold it last year. After more dr. bills after the bankruptcy we have about 1,500 left. want to try to buy a house again someday.

Thanks for your reply.

Generally, the law in these situations (except for in New England under the U.S. First Circuit Court of Appeals law) states that your debt to this creditor was discharged under the bankruptcy.

You need to send a letter to the attorney representing the company that sued you and provide them with a copy of the bankruptcy order (get a certified copy) and tell them that they should dismiss the suit. If they don't do it voluntarily, you need to simply show up to the hearing when you are given notice of it by the court and give the judge the bankruptcy order and tell the judge that the order bars the Plaintiff from suing you on this debt.

You don't want to ask the court to dismiss because it is not within the small claims limit, as all this will do is push the case up to regular county court in Florida. Also, the amount over was likely pleaded as interest, which is allowed in small claims court.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Please also remember to rate my answer positively as I am not compensated for my work on your question until you do.



Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No interest has been charged. Does this make a difference?

Getting the case thrown out of small claims court is not a good idea. It doesn't make the case go away, it only makes it go to a court where you will need a lawyer to represent you. Your protection lies in showing the court that the claim can't be made in the first place becuase it is barred by the bankruptcy order.

TexLaw and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your answers.

You are welcome. Good Luck!