How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask dylatess Your Own Question
dylatess, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 5156
Experience:  37 plus years representing clients with their legal issues
Type Your Legal Question Here...
dylatess is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My employer was ordered to garnish my wages in 2003 but never

This answer was rated:

My employer was ordered to garnish my wages in 2003 but never did now I'm being told I owe I owe my original debt plus 10 years of interest. What do I do?
Hello and thank you for your question. For over 34 years I have answered questions just like yours. And I look forward to assisting you.

Please note that the judgment against you is good for ten years. And the fact that your employer ignored the garnishment does not give you any defense. However, if this debt is significant in the amount now owing with interest, and/or you have other debts, you should consult with a bankruptcy attorney to discuss filing. Note, this debt is dischargeable in bankruptcy in its entirely and that includes all the accrued interest.
dylatess and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you