How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JB Umphrey Your Own Question
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 20233
Experience:  Explains legal matters based on 14+ years experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
JB Umphrey is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Elderly protection is trying to force my parents into a nursing

This answer was rated:

Elderly protection is trying to force my parents into a nursing home against their will. What can we do?
Welcome and thank you for your question!

I am sorry to learn of the facts you've described, do you currently live near your parents? Do you assist in their day-to-day care?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes. I live with my parents I am their caregiver.

Thank you. Why does elderly protection believe that you are not adequately providing for their care?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

They said my parents were not properly cleaned and the house is not clean. Unclean living conditions.

Did your parents legally designate you as their power of attorney?

If not, are your parent still of sound mind to sign legal documents?

What steps can you take to improve/clean their living conditions?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No. They are still of sound mind and can sign legal documents. The problems they are complaining about can easily be fixed.

Thank you. Then your focus needs to be on improving the quality of their living conditions.

Elderly protection cannot force your parents into a nursing home without (a) your parent's consent, or (b) a court order.

A court will order it only if your parents cannot make their own decisions and their safety/welfare requires it. And that would only come after a hearing when your parents can be represented by an attorney who could fight it if the allegations are baseless.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business!

~~ J.B.
JB Umphrey and 9 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
I see where you read my answer but not where you asked a follow up question or rated my effort to assist you with the law as it relates to your issue. The Site has been having some major systems issues recently so we are not always receiving customer replies or ratings.

If you do have a follow up for me, if you could send it again and let me know this is your second try (so I can let the Site administrators know), I would appreciate it.

Otherwise, if I have answered all of your questions, please take brief moment to rate my assistance to you so that I can receive credit for my work.

Thank you in advance.

~~ J.B.