BizAttorney
BizAttorney, Attorney
Experience:  Over 12 years of business and legal experience.
13790199

My son told his friends goodbye, got into his car to leave.

My son told his friends goodbye, got into his car to leave. Started the car, put into gear and proceeded to go.Somewhere in this time , 2 boys jumped on the back of his car and tried to ride it"jackass"style.He was unaware they had done so.One jumped off and was injured. The other than banged on the car to make my son aware of his presence to stop. The one who jumped off was injured. He refused to call 911 or the police.The other boys then took him to the hospital. Three months later, he wants my insurance info and has hired a lawyer. The lawyer wants to now get the police involved and file a report with my insurance company. What should I do? I cannot afford my rates to go up nor do I think my son should be found responsible for their behavior

BizAttorney :

Good evening! I can help you out with your legal question tonight. You should give him your insurance information, but do not make a claim.

BizAttorney :

The lawyer will send a few demand letters to see if he/she can get some money. If not, then the lawyer can choose to bring suit. It will be a tough case for them to win, since their negligence exceeds your son's by far.

BizAttorney :

What state are you in?

Customer:

South Carolina

BizAttorney :

In SC, if someone is more than 51% negligent, then they can't recover for negligence. The facts you gave makes me believe that the kids who jumped on the vehicle would be found more than 51% negligent.

BizAttorney :

Thus, they would recover nothing.

Customer:

They want to hire an investigator to interview everyone. The boy that is injured is now saying he was already on the car. They now want the SC State Police involved . The lawyers dad is a state senator.

BizAttorney :

That is typical and interviewing everyone could actually hurt them. It could show that the kids knew what they were doing and still did it.

Customer:

The story has changed from the beginning

BizAttorney :

That will only help your son.

Customer:

OK so I should just give the info and wait and see?Should I hire an attorney?

BizAttorney :

Yes, give them that information and wait to hire an attorney.

Customer:

If they keep it in insurance claim should I hire one?

BizAttorney :

No, I wouldn't suggest getting one until your son has been sued, if he ever is.

Customer:

thank you

Customer:

I still do not want the insurance to increase....

BizAttorney :

You are welcome! Please give me feedback so I can continue to help others.

BizAttorney :

It may not.

Customer:

Do I have a way to keep the insurance from increasing

Customer:

Or just wait and see:-)

BizAttorney :

You will have to wait and see unfortunately.

Customer:

thank you