How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JB Umphrey Your Own Question
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 20233
Experience:  Explains legal matters based on 14+ years experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
JB Umphrey is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am currently working as an independent contractor ( gate

This answer was rated:

I am currently working as an independent contractor ( gate guard) . I receive a monthly salary with nothing taken out. I receive a 1099 that shows my total income. I am not considered an employee of the company, so I receive no benefits.
Can I just report my salary on form 1040 as earned income and pay taxes on that amount.
I do not want to set up any type of business. I am retired, and I already receive ss and a retirement check. I just want to do this the simplest way possible.
Welcome and thank you for your question!

I would be helpful to know: do you work for them all year? Or was it for just a brief period of time?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I just worked the month of Dec. in 2012, but I will be working all of 2013.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I only worked the month of Dec. in 2012 , but will work all of 2013.
Thank you. For the month of December, you can just report it as earned income.

However, for 2013, you will have to make quarterly estimated tax payments as an independent contractor. The federal forms and instructions for doing that are found at:

You will have to do the same thing for the state you live in, if your state assesses income taxes.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business!

~~ J.B.

JB Umphrey and 5 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you