Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Nas Coal took money out of my bank account

I had money taken out...
I had money taken out of one of my bank accounts by Nas Coal. I went to the bank and removed money from a different account. 5 days later Nas Coal deducted the money from that account even though there was no money in it. Now I have a sizeable debit and the bank keeps charging me for extended overdraft. What do I do? Do I have to pay the bank for money I took out days before Nas Coal tried to take it?
2/3/2013
NateLawAnswers
NateLawAnswers, Attorney
Thank you for your question. Be sure to go ahead and bookmark www.nateanswers.com for future questions.
For what reason did Nas Coal debit your account?
I am in negotiations for an installment plan to pay some back taxes in NYS
I am negotiating an installment plan for back taxes in NYS
Amex called me for a fraud alert on this charge, Itold them it was fine. Please answer when ready. Thanks.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

If they were authorized to take the money out and it resulted in a negative balance on your account, the bank can certainly charge extended overdraft fees, a standard fee banks charge. You are also obligated to get the balance to where it is no longer negative. If you do not, the bank can file a lawsuit against you to collect that amount. The proper thing to do to avoid further legal problems would be to make a deposit to bring the account back to at least zero. At that point you can ask that the account be closed and that further attempts at electronic transactions be blocked.

Then what stops Nas Coal from just debiting my bank account for my entire back tax burden? There was no money in the account for 5 business days before they debited my checking account.
That is between you and Nas Coal, not the bank. If you had an installment plan and they wrongly debited the entire amount, you need to talk to them to get the money bank. If you did not have an installment plan and Nas Coal went into collection, they can seize any assets they know about. The bank has their own policies on whether they honor debits that turn an account negative. Unless you explicitly requested the bank not to honor debits that would turn your account negative they have the right to honor the debit at their discretion, which is what they have done.
NateLawAnswers
NateLawAnswers, Attorney
NateLawAnswers
NateLawAnswers
NateLawAnswers, Attorney